Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Nature Club(3)

The exciting part of the workshop….

During the day we had a nature walk in one of the wetland trails. Just forgot about the good explanation given by the young programme officer , all we were concerned was there any leeches climbing on our legs and sucking our blood!!Guess what? This was a scary experience for most of us ! There were lots of them especially after the rain! Ha...ha....so, you can imagine how these cikgu reacted ! Of course you heard them yelling for help !Well, I was cautious & in my heart I remembered the officer said, “We are entering their territories & it is their nature to hunt for food. So, don’t worry so much and just enjoyed looking at the beautiful flora & fauna.” And so the whole trail took about an hour and I was lucky to get only one "Bite" from the little friend ! Phew…..

It rained heavily after we finished all the other wetland activities. Earlier on the sun was so hot that most of us had left our raincoats at the centre. However, we were not caught in the rain as the organizer had arranged us to return to the centre by cars. God really took good care of us!

Night walk…..

At night we had another exciting experience at another wetland trail ! Again thinking of the leeches bite, you heard one telling the others how the “little friends” from the trees/leaves fell onto your face and body and sucking your blood. Another said, “Surely there are a lot of them after the afternoon downpour !” It really worried us, some of us already thinking not to join the group even though the officer said, “I guarantee you’ll miss all the fun to see the wonders of the night forest!”

When the time came , all queued up anxiously outside the centre & getting instructions from the camp ranger. When he saw us he laughed loudly and asked, “Wow, what smell was that?” Yeah, there was a strong smell of all types of insect repellent & “minyak angin cap Kapak” !! It was believed this would keep the leeches away ! He smiled & further pulling our legs, “It was not the leech but I’ll faint soon! Ha….ha…!”

Anyway, he asked everyone to say a prayer * , and started our adventure. Though there were still a few “alamak ! ooops & ahhhs…! ” I enjoyed the night walk. Once your eyes get used to the dark then by using other senses ,we could experience something that never happen in your life. There were many calls & sounds of animals / insects and most of them were quite difficult to describe in words .The camp ranger told us if we were lucky ,we would be able to see wild mushroom that shines or even porcupine hunting for food. However, we managed to see a shining type of millipede, fire flies, a light green frog and a remarkable design from the sky which was formed by the leaves from the same kind of trees which are planted near to each other. That night It was more than enough for me as long as I got the great delight to just listen, observe the surrounding quietly and feel the peaceful symphony conducted by our great Creator. It was once in a life time experience .I’m glad that I came :D

* Praise the Lord, after one hour everyone came out safe and sound. As usual some were generous enough to feed the leeches but I was again not “liked” by the “little friend”. Phew….. maybe the mixture of insect repellent really worked !! :D

No comments: